Good morning! Here’s the technology news you need to know this Wednesday.
1. Tesla CEO Elon Musk will now be paid nothing unless he increases his company’s market capitalization and the shareholders do very well. Musk’s new compensation plan scraps any promise to hit vehicle production goals, which Tesla has always fallen short of.
2. Anthony Noto resigned as COO of Twitter to become CEO of SoFi. Twitter stock was down about 3% after the news broke.
3. $9 billion (£6.4 billion) startup Stripe dropped bitcoin support because it doesn’t make sense as a means of payment. “Empirically, there are fewer and fewer use cases for which accepting or paying with Bitcoin makes sense,” Stripe product manager Tom Karlo wrote in the announcement.
4. Apple’s delayed HomePod speaker is finally going on sale. It will become available for pre-orders on Friday. It will cost $349 (£248) and will hit store shelves on February 9.
5. Facebook acquired a small startup called Confirm.io. The business let companies quickly verify someone’s identity using their government-issued identification.
6. Qualcomm is expected to be fined by Europe’s regulators for paying Apple to put its chips in the iPhone. Apple and Qualcomm are stuck …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Technology